[TWDC] D'autres articles en anglais

Démarré par TheOneWhoKnew, 14 Février 2004, 20:03:32

« précédent - suivant »

TheOneWhoKnew

Region shows keen interest in Disney

A possible takeover had many speculating on the company's ties to the community.

By Jerry W. Jackson | Sentinel Staff Writer
Posted February 12, 2004

Biggest media deals
Feb 12, 2004  

Walt Disney World and Orlando are so deeply wedded to each other that the idea of a cable-TV company buying the brand -- and doing who knows what with it -- sent heads spinning Wednesday from the Magic Kingdom to City Hall.

Disney's roots extend deep into the community. It's by far the region's largest employer, with more than 50,000 workers. It's Orange County's largest taxpayer, one of the largest supporters of the arts, and the leading supplier of executive brainpower for government-advisory boards and nonprofit organizations.

But if Comcast Holdings Corp. pulls off a stunning buyout of Walt Disney Co., would that end the company's longstanding links to the region? Sever some irreplaceable tie?

Not likely, according to most community leaders. For one thing, the Disney brand, the theme parks and their tens of thousands of employees would surely stay put, they said. And Disney World brass have always reported to higher-ups far away in Southern California, where Disney has always expended most of its corporate largess.

Still, the idea of another company attempting a hostile takeover of Mickey Mouse evoked strong feelings in Central Florida.

"It's like, evil," said Dominique McDevitt, 17, a visitor from Gilbertsville, Pa., as she rode the monorail into the Magic Kingdom.

The prospect of Comcast taking over Disney is "a chilling thought," said Harris Rosen, the Orlando area's largest independent hotelier.

"Comcast is perceived as very aggressive, and I think that is too kind," Rosen said. "They are just not the sort of people we want in Central Florida, not with such a precious treasure as Disney."

Rosen, who worked in Disney hotels until 1974, said he respects CEO Michael Eisner and his management team for rescuing the entertainment giant after takeover attempts in the 1980s.

"Michael has done a magnificent job, and Central Florida and Orlando have benefited," Rosen said. "My hope and prayer is that Michael stays where he is, and that Comcast goes and causes mischief someplace else."

At the Big Bamboo Lounge in Kissimmee, a popular hangout for theme-park employees, some workers said they don't think a possible takeover would affect their jobs. And a few even look forward to the potential change.

"Anything to get Eisner out," said Patty Bond, a server and hostess at Disney's Yacht and Beach Club Resort. "I think getting Eisner out of there would be better -- period. I'd rather see the family take over. The family would do what Walt [Disney] wanted."

Alfreda Vassallo, who works at Epcot as an attractions hostess, said she hasn't heard much about Comcast.

"Is it something I'm worried about? No," she said. "Is that a bad thing? Is that a good thing? I don't know."

Orange County Chairman Rich Crotty said he was surprised when he heard about the Comcast bid.

"My first reaction was that I had heard it backward. I didn't know they had the horsepower to do something like this," Crotty said.

But if the takeover succeeds, the county chairman said, it might prove to be a plus for the community and for Disney. "If this stimulates creative juices, and if it [Disney] is actually strengthened economically, then I'm all for it."

Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer said he had no feel for whether a sale might be good or bad -- or whether it could lead to more, not less, autonomy for Disney's mammoth Central Florida operations.

"From a historical perspective, the community is what it is because of Disney," Dyer said. "From a business standpoint, we're more inclined to want local control -- or as much local control as possible -- right here in Orlando."

"I'm going to be watching this play out with a great deal of interest, obviously," the mayor said. "We've got a great relationship with Disney, and they've been a great corporate partner with us."

Margo Knight, president of United Arts of Central Florida, predicted that, if Comcast were to buy Disney, it would probably maintain Disney World's community commitments in an effort to foster a good corporate relationship.

"We would expect their commitments to the arts would continue," Knight said. "I can't imagine that would change."

Disney is the second-largest corporate contributor to United Arts, a four-county funding agency for the Orlando Philharmonic Orchestra and other groups. The $1.25 million that Disney has pledged to the arts group over a 10-year period -- $125,000 a year -- is now in its fourth year.

"For some time there has been a feeling in the arts community that, since this is not Disney's headquarters, their participation has not been that stellar. Perhaps this might end up being an improvement," Robert Swedberg, general director of the Orlando Opera, said of a Comcast takeover.

Willoughby Mariano, Amy C. Rippel and Wes Smith of the Sentinel staff contributed to this report. Jerry W. Jackson can be reached at 407-420-5721 or [email protected].
friendly
funny
pwnt
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

TheOneWhoKnew

New owner could mean changes at theme parks

By Todd Pack and Sean Mussenden | Sentinel Staff Writers
Posted February 12, 2004

Comcast Corp. is widely expected to keep the keys to the Magic Kingdom if the cable TV giant buys Walt Disney Co.

The parks are "really the engine that drives the brand," said Steve Baker, an Orlando-based entertainment consultant.

Many analysts agreed with Baker's assessment Wednesday, saying Disney wouldn't be Disney without the parks, though some questioned whether the companies would be a natural pairing.

Comcast executives, however, were already thinking of ways to "restore some of the creative spark" to the parks.

"It's hard to think of a product or service in the United States that families love more than Disney theme parks," Steve Burke, Comcast's executive vice president, said at a news conference in New York.

But "we believe there are ways to revitalize those businesses, to restore some of the creative spark to the attractions," he said.

Burke, former president of Euro Disney, offered no specifics but said Comcast would advertise the parks aggressively and look for opportunities to promote them on its cable channels and through other business units.

Walt Disney Parks and Resorts accounts for about a quarter of Disney's annual revenue, with the division's 10 parks drawing more than 90 million visitors last year, according to industry estimates.

Recently, though, Chairman Michael Eisner has come under fire, with former director Roy Disney criticizing the "timidity" of Eisner's investments in the theme parks.

Comcast's offer validates those criticisms, another former Disney director said.

Stanley Gold -- who is working with Roy Disney, Walt Disney's nephew, to oust Eisner -- said it was too soon to say whether Comcast's offer has merit.

But "we could not have asked for a greater validation than the presentation Comcast gave this morning," he said during a conference call on Wednesday. "What I would say is their presentation is a validation of the kinds of things we've been saying."

In a widely circulated three-page letter in December, Roy Disney told Eisner the company had "lost its focus, its creative energy and its heritage."

Some analysts, though, question whether Comcast would be a good fit to lead the division.

The cable company would seem an unlikely candidate, said Anthony Gennaro, an analyst with Principal Global Investors, which is a Disney investor.

"I was somewhat surprised," he said of Comcast's offer.

Disney's cable channels such as the Disney Channel and ESPN are a clear fit with Comcast's E! and Style Network, but there are not obvious synergies with theme parks, said analyst Ryan Flury of Heritage Financial Management in Virginia.

Others in the industry see it differently.

"The Disney parks are so integrated with the Disney brand -- the characters, Disney's intellectual properties and Disney's history -- that it would be unlikely that a knowledgeable buyer would want to spin off the parks, at least in the short term," said John Robinett, senior vice president of Economic Research Associates, a Los Angeles-based consulting firm.

"I don't know who'd want to buy it either," he said.

Because of the value of the Disney name and scale of the properties -- Disney World, for example, is spread across 47 square miles -- the parks and resorts division alone would be worth "billions, billions, billions," consultant Dennis Speigel said.

"I don't see anybody in the industry who could step up to the plate and do that," said Speigel, president of International Theme Park Services, a Cincinnati-based consulting firm.

Baker, president of Baker Leisure Group, agrees.

"If they [Comcast] bought the company and thought they could spin off the parks, they would be absolutely foolish," he said.

Richard Verrier of the Sentinel staff contributed to this report. Reuters also contributed.

Todd Pack can be reached at [email protected] or 407-420-5407.

friendly
funny
pwnt
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions